Interior

Poisonous indoor plants

Houseplants help not only to decorate our house, but also enrich the air with necessary oxygen. However, not all plants can benefit. There are those that are dangerous, especially for small children and pets. Therefore, it is important to know which of the indoor plants need to be careful.


What is the danger

Any plant consists of leaves, juice, sometimes flowers and fruits. Most often, the danger is not the whole plant, but its individual parts. For some, these are bulbs and roots, access to which is restricted for us. But to know that they represent a danger is still necessary.

Houseplants that are considered poisonous can cause serious poisoning, the symptoms of which become:

  • skin irritation;
  • burns;
  • skin rashes;
  • the appearance of ulcers on the skin;
  • dizziness;
  • nausea.

Especially you need to beware of contact with the juice of such plants on the mucous membranes of the mouth or eyes, as there is a likelihood of their inflammation. In addition, problems may begin in the work of the respiratory and digestive organs.

If the plant is poisonous berries, flowers or leaves, they become a potential danger to children and pets, as they can attract their attention and desire to try. For example, if a part of such a plant gets inside, then inflammation and burns may appear on the walls of the digestive tract. The most dangerous consequences of poisoning include impaired heart function.

Pollen of poisonous plants is also a potential hazard. Especially it should be wary of people prone to allergic reactions. Moreover, it can even cause allergies in a bitter land, where the plant is related to poisonous.

Names of poisonous indoor plants

There are a lot of houseplants that are poisonous, and it is simply impossible to list them all in one article. Therefore, we offer to get acquainted with the most popular of them:

  1. Cyclamen. Due to the spectacular appearance of this plant, it is often presented instead of banal bouquets. Among its advantages are attractiveness, ease of care and affordable price. It is believed that this plant must be kept in the bedroom, as it can relieve bad dreams. Specialists in traditional medicine also offer to bury the juice from his bulb in the nose with sinus. However, as doctors have proven, such a procedure can lead to difficulty in nasal breathing and even cause burns to the mucous membrane. You need to be afraid of the roots and seeds of cyclamen, as their juice causes an inflammatory reaction and irritation.

  1. Amaryllis. Despite the very beautiful flowers of this plant, it is also classified as poisonous. But such is his only onion. If its juice gets inside, it can cause vomiting. And if you accidentally broke a piece of paper and touched the juice, you should immediately wash your hands and avoid contact with eyes.

  1. Dieffenbachia. This plant is often used to decorate offices and apartments, as it fits well into the interior. Dieffenbachia is able to improve the air quality in the room where it is located. However, putting it in a room with children is not worth it. In its stems is a very poisonous juice, which can cause the strongest digestive disorders. If this juice gets on the skin, it may cause a burn. Therefore, when caring for the plant, use protective gloves.

  1. Geranium. Many have heard about the healing properties of this flower, which is an antiseptic and is used to treat angina, otitis or stress. However, this plant has a strong odor that can cause allergies and asthma attacks. Geraniums are especially dangerous for children, pregnant women, diabetics and women who use hormonal contraceptives.

  1. Spurge. Any plant that belongs to the Euphorbia family, contains poisonous juice. And indoor plants are no exception. Among the representatives of this family there are plants that look very similar to cactus and other attractive flowers. However, as if euphorbia did not look, you need to be wary of its juice, which can cause severe dizziness, nausea, burns and diarrhea.

  1. Hydrangea. The plant is one of those in which absolutely all parts are poisonous. Just touching the flower, nothing terrible will happen, but if its juice gets on you, it can cause severe itching, muscle weakness, poor circulation, increased sweating, nausea and pain in the stomach.

  1. Monstera. Another name for this plant is philodendron leaky. Many people appreciate it for its attractive appearance and ability to decorate any interior. But despite this, its leaves are fraught with danger. In this case, not only a person can suffer, but also a pet. When it enters the mouth, salivation increases strongly, there is a burning sensation and an inflammatory process appears. If it is swallowed, it is unlikely to avoid indigestion or inflammatory damage to the digestive tract.

  1. Oleander. The beautiful flowers of this plant exude a pleasant spicy smell. But if you inhale it too much, you may experience dizziness and headache. But its leaves are considered more dangerous. Even a small swallowed piece of leaf can be fatal.

  1. Ficus Many like the glossy shine of its leaves. At the same time, few people know that there are substances in it that provoke asthma attacks.

  1. Spathiphyllium. His attractive flowers often decorate our window sills. But if the sap of the plant gets on the skin, long-healing ulcers can appear in this place.

  1. Poinsettia. Another name for this flower is the Star of Bethlehem. Its properties are very similar to those possessed by spurge. And if poinsettia juice gets in the eyes, a person can go blind.

  1. Adenium. In the beautiful flowers and thick stems of the plant is very poisonous juice.

It is important to note that all poisonous plants can harm not only humans, but also animals. That's only if you manage to get rid of only unpleasant sensations, then a pet who accidentally nibbles cyclamen or another dangerous flower may die.

How to help yourself with the defeat of poison

What to do if it was not possible to avoid too close contact with a poisonous plant? Your further actions should depend on the site that suffered:

  1. If the juice is on the skin, this area should be thoroughly washed with water and soapy water.
  2. If the juice gets into your eyes, you should rinse them abundantly with plenty of water.
  3. If a part of a poisonous plant is swallowed, induce vomiting immediately. To prevent the dangerous effects of plants on the body, you must take any sorbent.

If the poison is ingested, it is strictly forbidden to drink milk, as this can only increase its negative impact. In the case when the poisoning has led to convulsions, loss of consciousness or heart rhythm disturbances, it is important to immediately call an ambulance, as self-treatment in this case can lead to disastrous consequences.

Of course, it is not necessary to deny yourself the pleasure of acquiring houseplants. Indeed, despite the fact that it can be poisonous, it also has positive qualities. The main thing is to be extremely careful with him and put in a place where kids or pets cannot reach him.

Watch the video: Indoor Plants That Are Poisonous And Dangerous (April 2020).

Loading...